Pacific Fleet Directed to Stamp Out Sexual Assault
Adm. Cecil Haney, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, has directed all his commands to conduct a standdown to “stamp out” sexual assault. All active duty units must complete the standdown by Dec. 14; reserve units have until Jan. 28.
In a message to all Pacific Fleet Sailors, Haney called for a frank and open two-hour discussion to focus on leadership expectations, while garnering deckplate input on how to prevent sexual assaults.
“I am proud that the vast majority of Pacific Fleet Sailors are outstanding citizens who work hard to make the communities where they work and live a better place,” said Haney. “That’s why I need your help in making this an all-hands effort to prevent sexual assaults.”
Haney also emphasized how irresponsible behavior by a few troublemakers ultimately affects the Pacific Fleet’s ability to deter conflict and maintain a stable and secure Asia-Pacific region.
The standdown to discuss sexual assaults is part of a larger Pacific Fleet effort announced earlier this month by Haney to encourage shipmate intervention, and ultimately prevent destructive behavior.
Haney is confident that Pacific Fleet Sailors are up to the challenge.
“This is an opportunity for every Sailor, down to the deckplate level, to be a leader by preventing shipmates from making terrible decisions,” said Haney. “The power of the proactive majority can make a difference, and with your help, I am confident that we will succeed in stamping out sexual assaults in our Navy.”