Simple Ways to Honor Your Spouse on Military Spouse Appreciation Day
Ships deploy and Sailors go with them for months at a time, leaving behind friends and family whose responsibilities and roles are often underappreciated.
The role of a military spouse can be challenging. Spouses deal with their Sailor’s long working hours, deployments, and frequent relocations that make military marriages even more complex. With so much going on, military spouses often act as the stabilizing force for their families by providing emotional support and consistency to their family members.
In an effort to raise awareness of the importance of the military spouse’s role and recognize the sacrifices they make to support their service member, the Department of Defense declared the Friday before Mother’s Day as Military Spouse Appreciation Day. To help you celebrate this special occasion, or show your appreciation any day of the year, here are five things you can do to show your spouse you appreciate their hard work and dedication.
- Go on a date! Whether you go explore a local city or go out to a fancy dinner, take them on a date. If you have children, hire a sitter, if possible. If getting a sitter isn’t possible, have a date night at home. Prepare a special meal, set the table with your best dishes, and spend time reconnecting. Try following that up with a movie or a shared activity you both enjoy.
- Do the chores! Keeping a house clean is always challenging, especially when a military spouse also works and the family includes kids and pets, or both! Consider taking over the household chores for the day so they can relax.
- Send notes of encouragement! Military spouses will almost certainly have days while their loved ones are deployed, household appliances fail, and little ones get sick. Sometimes it happens all at once and they have to deal with it alone. To combat those hard days, consider hiding love notes around the house or sending cards with encouraging words. This can do wonders to life their spirits, especially when you’re deployed.
- Give a simple gift! It doesn’t have to be anything outrageous or grand. A heartfelt token of appreciation can be as simple as a bottle of their favorite wine, fresh flowers or a massage. You may even earn some bonus points by giving the massage yourself.
- Give them alone time! While a military spouse may spend a lot of time separated from loved ones, getting a few hours, or a day, away from their routine can help them relax and recharge. This small “self-cation” can help them cope with the unique demands of their whirlwind lifestyle.
No matter how you choose to celebrate National Military Spouse Appreciation Day make sure to express your gratitude for all that they do to support you. A simple ‘Thank You’ can go a long way!